Google

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Australia: A Fete Fit For an 80's Prom Queen

This past weekend we celebrated a very momentous occasion - my 25th birthday - with a fancy dress party (fancy dress is what Aussies call costumes). In honor of the upcoming forth of July, we made the costume theme American Pop Culture. And in typical Ms. Evan fashion where the tackier the better, I crowned myself prom queen 80's style. When we went shopping for our costumes at Salvos (Salv. Army) and found an iridescent bridesmaid A-line skirt and a purple satin pillow case, I knew I could turn it into something spectacular with Nokomi's help. My fairy godmother is a miracle worker and a genius at the sewing machine (not to mention a multi-talented chanteuse and trained dancer). With some black tulle and sequined fabric, Nokomi magically transformed my pillow case and bridesmaid skirt into a fabulous 80's prom dress in just 2 days. I added gaudy pearls, silver gloves, prom queen sash, fishnet stockings and a tiara to complete the look.
As for the party, we decked the house with American flags and red/white/blue balloons (thanks to Brian who arrived that morning from the US and is here to visit for a month) and served American nibbles like mac 'n cheese, rice krispy treats, deviled eggs, pizza, cupcakes, hot dogs, and Budweiser. Justin also compiled a 7-hour music list consisted of all American tunes from Michael Jackson to Madonna to Eminem to Guns 'n Roses. Over half of the twenty plus guests actually dressed up in a costume, not a disappointing success rate if you ask me. Guests included Don Johnson from Miami Vice who also doubled as my prom king, Maverick from Top Gun, Redneck/American Brian, Playboy Bunny, Audrey Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffany's, Felicity Shagwell, Austin Powers, Harry from Dumb and Dumber, and Paris Hilton. We drank, danced, played beer pong and flip cup (the girls kicked the guys' ass three times in a row), and partied like it was 1985. I was caught drinking straight out of the punch bowl. Before I knew it, I passed out in my prom dress and woke up the next morning still drunk with a massive hangover and found our house looking and smelling like the aftermath of a frat party. Nonetheless I couldn't have imagined a more festive way to turn 25. Quarter of a century. I am getting up there aren't I? Oh alright... I'M THIRTY OKAY? THIRTY! BIG 3-0! I'M AN OLD BAG WITH WRINKLES AND SAGGING BOOBS AND GRAYING PUBES! I actually think I'm handling this major milestone considerably well. I mean, I'm not thrilled about leaving my 20's behind but I guess they say 30 is the new 20. So hooray for me and all my fabulous old fart friends who are turning 30 this year. What would you have dressed up as if you were at my party?
Aussie word of the day:
Slab means a carton of beer (24 pack)
Example: Gotta get a couple slabs for the party tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Evan. It looks like you had a ball. I wish I could have been there. You're still considered young, kiddo. Until you're 40, you're still in the "finding yourself" stage of life. Believe me.

t. said...

happy (belated) birthday!!! i LOVE the pic of you slumped over on the floor - classic! haha.

Ally said...

Your last picture (the one with you knocked out) pretty much sums up your birthday huh? Happy 25th...I mean 30th. :P