Google

Friday, April 4, 2008

Australia: Job-ulous!

It is Day Ten of my futile job search (which explains my frequent blogging). I've been applying online and meeting with recruiters every day, done a bunch of phone interviews, and exhausted nearly all my contacts. Still no luck. Well, I don't need luck - I just need a job. I do well on interviews up until the last question. Strengths? I give good head. Weaknesses? I don't swallow. Daily rate? Market. Well, everything sounds great to me! One last thing though: Permanent Work Visa? No, Work and Holiday. Oh...we'll get back to you. G'day! When can I expect to...? [CLICK] Herro? You there?
There is a pesky little stipulation that Work and Holiday visa holders cannot work for the same employer for more than six months. Normally this is not problematic for contract work, but a lot of these employers want to extend contracts for more than six months making me ineligible from the get-go. But I did get a good laugh when one of my online applications was rejected by the client's mail server because it contained "offensive language." What could I possibly have in my resume that is remotely "offensive"? When I emailed the administrator, she replied that she'd be happy to push my application through but explained my resume contained "Summa cum laude." Oh...HAHA.
Maybe my temporary immigration to Australia is just not meant to be. To add to the equation, I received an informal offer this week to move back to San Francisco to work for a former client (it helps that the director and manager are my personal friends.) Why is it that every time I travel to Asia Pacific, I always get a job offer to stay in the U.S.? (This is the third time that's happened.) OK, for shits and giggles, let's work this one out together: Accepting the offer = permanent job + money + stability + free health insurance + many friends + familiar city. Declining the offer = no job + no money + marginal health insurance + no friends (very few) + foreign city. Well, the answer is obvious, isn't it? Any normal person with common sense but no balls would move back and take the job in a jiffy. Me? I am the complete opposite of that: I have no common sense whatsoever but got balls of steel. Therefore, I am going to stick it out and keep trying until at least Justin gets here. IF and only IF neither one of us gets a job before my 25th birthday in June, THEN I suppose we'll perchance consider the mere prospect of moving back. Possibly.
Meanwhile, I'm on a new diet called JAS. Ever heard of it? Jobless And Starvin', the JAS diet is quite effective; I've already lost 2 kilos (5 lbs) in just a week. When finances are scarce and you are forced to choose between entertainment and food, I seem to have chosen the former which is very unlike me but I AM trying to make friends in a new city.
Pics: Flinders St. station - I have an affinity for clocks. I think the juxtaposition of that huge structure of Super Mario against the backdrop of surrounding historical buildings is quite fitting for Melbourne - a city of tradition and modernism.
Small Note of Unimportance
: I have received a very angry letter from a very angry fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers to make a correction to my last post when I said it is no fun to cheer for a losing team lke the Steelers. This is what Justin, I mean the very angry fan, wrote:
YOU CUNT. THE STEELERS ARE NOT ON A LOSING STREAK. 1 OF THEIR PAST 4 SEASONS THEY WENT 8 - 8, WHICH IS AS CLOSE AS THEY'VE COME TO LOSING. I THINK YOU SHOULD MAKE A CORRECTION. Right...Am I alone when I say HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!?!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey evan! just read your post. wow, you are really living the life. wanted to let you know i know someone from the area that may be able to forward your resume to her contacts. send me your info via email and i'll send it to her and cc: you.

now i have to figure out a way to visit you :)

-julie park