Google

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

India: Life in the not-so-fast lane

Anyone who knows me well can attest that I'm Ms. Speedy Gonzalez as I pride myself on my punctuality and efficiency in getting things done fast and done right. When others are not as quick with their tasks or ready to be out the door when I am, I tend to get a little agitated and rush them as nicely as I can. And having lived in such fast-paced cities as DC, NY, and Tokyo doesn't help with my impatience - it further sustains my cause since everyone else is walking and working just as hurriedly if not more so.

In India, however, everyone seems to operate on a different time. It's called "India Time". There is no real concept of when things need to get done around here. If we're meeting for dinner at 7:30 and have to be out the door by 7:15, then everyone starts getting ready at 7:30 and don't arrive until 8 (while I'm fully dressed and ready to go by 7:15). If a movie starts at 3, we'll get there by 3:20 at the earliest. Driving around in the afternoon, you'll see hundreds of men in business clothes hanging out on the streets which makes me wonder: don't they have work? Tea time takes an hour or two, in addition to their hour-long lunch break. In fact, even their time zone is a little off. India is eight and a HALF hours ahead of the U.S. Eastern Standard Time. Who is a HALF hour off from everyone else?

Needless to say, living in India has been a real adjustment to how I've operated my whole life. I have to consciously remind myself that it's okay to take it slow and that we are not on a time table. No deadlines. No schedules. No work plans. Just relax and enjoy each moment without worrying about the next. Maybe next time you see me, I'll go easy on ya when you're late as I might even be late myself!
Pictures: Me and Justin at Sports Club restaurant. Shopping at Law Garden - street market full of festive Indian clothing and jewelry.

2 comments:

Ally said...

Cute pictures. I definitely need to learn how to relax and not worry too much as well.

I'm glad you are learning so much from your trip so far.

Keep us posted! :)

deb said...

I just learned about the 12.5 hour time difference last week too. weird! I didn't believe it at first.