Google

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Colorado: First Day on the Job

Yesterday was my first day of work at the ski resort. Yep I got myself a little part-time job here and have officially been inducted into the Summit County Ski Bum Club. The position I applied for was listed on the website as:

Ski School Host

  • Description: Enhance guests' Ski & Ride School experience by providing location information, assist with equipment transportation, expedite rental process, facilitate child registration process.
  • Requirements: High School Diploma. Excellent Guest Service. Must be available to work until April 20th.
  • Pay: $8.75/ hour. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with all that loot. Don't envy my high-paying gig just yet, because I also get a free season pass to five ski resorts in the area. That's a hell of a deal considering a one-day ski pass will set you back ninety bucks. If I go thirty times (which I definitely plan to), that's $2700! I also get free lessons every month (worth $90 a lesson) and four half-off ski pass coupons for friends. Plus 50% off rentals and 20% off retail. Not bad for only working three mornings a week.
I interviewed for the position on Monday, filled out paperwork on Tuesday, and started work on Wednesday. The interview was a cinch as they just needed a warm body to show up. And I showed up, although my body was more cold than warm considering it was a mere 2 degrees outside. When the manager informed me the position required me to stand both outside and inside, I told him I don't do too well in the cold. So he was kind enough to promise that I only need to greet guests inside the office. He also promised me more free lessons a month than normally given to employees. And if I ever want to be "promoted" to the Product Sales position which pays $9.50/hour, it's mine. Wow. Why can't all managers be this accommodating?

After surviving my first day on the job, I would change the job description to:

Ski School Host

  • Description: Greet confused guests at front door of Ski & Ride School. Tell guests to sign waiver forms before registering for lessons so they won't sue if they get ran over by speedy skiers/boarders. Calm angry parents when they come in an hour late to sign up for lessons for their kids. Pretend to know what you are doing when directing guests where to go (I'm really good at that one as I'm accidentally misguided several guests on my first day. Oops - well a little extra runaround never hurt anyone).
  • Requirements: Warm body and thick skin with ability to understand and speak English.
  • Pay: This should be your second or third job if you even want to think about paying for rent or food.

Pictures: Justin and I spending our first Christmas together in Colorado at our friend's ranch.

1 comment:

Ally said...

I can't believe you are working again. $8.75/hour...how can you pass this up? HAHA :P