Google

Monday, November 19, 2007

HK: Made in Hong Kong

Since I was born in HK, I was able to apply for my Smart ID Card which proves my citizenship making me a dual citizen. Not only can I now work in HK with relative ease making me much more attractive to companies than other foreigners since I don't require work visa sponsorship, I get all the benefits of being a HK citizen. Justin, on the other hand, might have a tough time getting work if we decide to relocate to HK. (I'm starting to see a trend here - he keeps holding me back!) With my new ID card which is unbelievably advanced storing personal data on an embedded chip, I am able to access public library services and get immediate clearance at immigration checkpoints. Furthermore, the Smart ID card also has e-certification which enables one to perform business transactions like stock trading, e-banking, and e-mailing on public or personal computers equipped with a smart card reader. Armed with my new ID card, I now have access to healthcare and other public services available only to HK citizens without paying any taxes. (I guess I shouldn't announce the no taxes thing.) In the future, you can even add e-purse to the ID card which allows you to shop without paying cash like their Octopus card that is widely used. Where else can you consolidate your passport, driver's license, library card, and credit card all in one?

Applying for the ID card was quite a cinch. First I booked an appointment on their website for one of their four locations. Then I went into the office at my designated time, got a number and filled out a form, and all I had to bring was my birth certificate and my US Passport as my photo ID. As I waited in the waiting area, I watched for my number to appear on the TV screen which displayed what booth to go to (see left pic). After a 40-minute wait, I went to my "interview" with the immigration officer who asked me a few questions, took my picture and my fingerprints. He printed a temporary ID card which I had to carry with me until my real card arrives in two weeks. Since I will be gone by then, my parents will have to pick it up for me when they get to HK to renew their IDs. I was in and out in less than an hour. Imagine if it was that efficient renewing your license at the DMV!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

it's funny how you sound like you're still in hk right now :b

Margaritaville said...

that's cause i'm usually a week behind you jerk!